As women age, certain hormones like estrogen, progesterone, HGH human growth hormone – thyroid hormones and even testosterone decline. This decline causes a hormonal imbalance that can trigger sexual, mental and physical problems. As menopause approaches, the ovaries start to slow the production of hormones like estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. A woman’s hormone levels and subsequent hormonal symptoms can fluctuate for years before becoming so low that menstruation ceases completely.
Women in their mid-thirties and forties can suffer from Pre-Menopause and women in their fifties and beyond can suffer from Menopause. Many of these symptoms can be debilitating if not properly treated. Many physicians misdiagnose hormone deficiency related symptoms or lack sufficient experience with hormone replacement treatment programs to find appropriate solutions tailored to each patient.
Symptoms of Pre-Menopause / Menopause include:
- Irregular menstrual cycle length
- Increased breast tenderness
- Irritability and mood swings
- Water retention, bloating
- Weight gain, muscle loss
- Increased inability to cope
- Poor concentration, focus
- Reduced libido / sex drive
- Headaches and dizziness
- Anxiety and tearfulness
- Hot flashes and insomnia
- Night sweats and chills
- Extreme fatigue and depression
- Foggy thinking and confusion
- Dry or wrinkling skin and hair loss
- Vaginal dryness, discomfort and itching
- Excessive urination, burning or stinging
- Exercise and diet resistant increase in fat
- Social withdraw, shyness and panic attacks
Traditionally, women suffering from the above hormone-related symptoms have been prescribed the contraceptive pill to ‘regulate periods’, or anti-depressants to ‘settle-down’or benzodiazepines like valium to ‘calm down’. This approach does not get to the root of the problem – hormone deficiency or hormonal imbalance.