Makes about 20 Truffles (2 per person)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces dark chocolate with a 64 to 72 percent cacao content, very finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup pitted and halved medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced dried cherries
Coating: 2 tablespoons shredded coconut and 1 pinch of salt
Stir the boiling water into the chopped chocolate and let it stand for 30 seconds. Using a small whisk, stir until the chocolate is completely melted and glossy.
Coarsely grind the walnuts in a food processor, then add the dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and process for a minute. Then, add the chocolate mixture and process until smooth, another 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl; stir cherries into the chocolate mixture. Cover and chill for approximately two hours, until firm.
Meanwhile, prepare your coconut walnut coating. In the food processor with a clean, dry bowl, grind the walnuts, coconut and salt into a fine meal, then scatter on a large plate.